Friday, January 31, 2014

To Be or Not to Be... A Team That Is


One of the most memorable teams I have ever been on is the dance team I was on at Morgan Acadamy, and I feel like it really shows the stages of team building.

Forming: Our first day of dancing came. All of us were nervous to meet the girls we would be dancing with. Would our teacher be nice? Would the girls be fun? Would there be any mean girls? These were all questions haunting our sleep the night before. When we arrived all of our fears went away. Little did we know, we would be dancing together for five or more years.

Storming: By our second week of dancing we soon learned that one of the girls on our team thought she was better than the rest of us, the teacher included. As our wonderful instructor would explain new steps she would be talking loudly over her trying to get us to do what she wanted us to do instead. As a young girl it was rather confusing. I wanted to be a good dancer, but I wanted this older girl to like me as well.

Norming: As the weeks wore on and we worked harder and harder on our dancing the older girl slowly stopped trying to be smarter than the teacher. As we learned new things we soon learned where certain girls were stronger than others. My friend Darian was extremely flexible while Jessica was amazing at pirouettes. Some of us could leap higher and others could spin for what seemed like hours without getting dizzy and falling over. By putting all of our strengths together we were able to make a beautiful dance.

Preforming: Finally the big day arrived. It was time for our first compitition at Lagoon. All of us were nervous as our mothers smeared our faces with make up and stabbed bobbypins into our skulls. Our tutus were fluffed and our slippers wiped clean. As we walked up onto the stage and the music started we began to dance the dance that had been drilled into our minds. Terrified of tripping over my feet or falling off the edge of the stage I forced myself to remember to smile. Finally the music ended and we all left the stage. Later during the awards ceremony we all sat together holding hands and eating donut holes and mini brownies. Then the happiest thing happened to the seven of us. They called Morgan Acadamy of Dance as the GRAND CHAMPION WINNERS! We were so thrilled. All of our hard work and dedication had finally payed off.

I loved this team so much and we all grew really close. For the next five years we were basically inseperable and were there supporting eachother through thick and thin. I miss these girls every day and hope someday I can see them again.



No comments:

Post a Comment